Main Article Content
Contextual teaching and learning approach, is a relevant approach applied in learning to speak through explaining or commenting on the contents of explanatory texts, so that it can help teachers overcome students' difficulties in the learning process of speaking at school. This study aims to improve speaking skills through explaining the contents of explanatory texts using a contextual teaching and learning approach. The research method used in this research is descriptive qualitative, while the type of this research is classroom action research (CAR). The research was divided into two cycles, each cycle was carried out twice. Research data obtained through (1) observation, (2) test and (3) documentation. The research location is in SMA Negeri 4 Ternate City with the research subjects being 25 students of class XI IPS. The results of this study are as follows: First, the use of a contextual teaching and learning approach can improve the quality of learning speaking skills. This can be seen from the improvement in the process of learning situations where students are more focused in learning, students are also more active in learning to speak. Second, the use of contextual teaching and learning approaches can improve students' speaking skills. This can be seen from the results of the initial test (pre-action) to the second cycle test. The initial test (pre-action) was 61.56%, the first cycle test was 71.84% and the second cycle test was 88.53%. Based on the results of these studies.
- 1. Arikunto, Suharsimi. 2006. Research Procedures a Practical Approach.Jakarta.PT Rineka Ministry of National Education. 2002. Contextual Approach (Contextual Teaching And Learning). Jakarta: Director General of Primary and Secondary Education.
- 2. Ministry of National Education. 2003. Law of the Republic of Indonesia No. 20 of 2003 concerning the National Education System. Jakarta: Ministry of National Education
- 3. Thunder Tarigan, Henry. 1990. Speaking as a Language Skill. Jakarta. Space.
- 4. Kosasih. 2014. Skilled in Writing Explanatory Text. Jakarta PT Grasindo.
- 5. Kridalaksana. 1996. Learning Skills Speak. Jakarta.Ministry of Education and Culture. Mulyani Sumantri. 2001. Basics of Speaking Skills. Bandung. Space.
- 6. Maidar G. Arsjad and Mukti Us 1987. Development of Indonesian Speaking Ability. Jakarta: Erlangga.
- 7. Nurhadi, et al. 2002. Contextual Teaching and Learning and its Application in KBK. State University of Malang.
- 8. Priyanti, Enda Tri. 2002.Competency-Based Curriculum and Contextual Learning. Paper Presented in Semlok KBK and learning at SMAN 2 Jombang.
- 9. Priyanti, Endah Tri. 2014. Basics of Writing Explanatory Text
- 10. Iroth, S., & Suparno, D. (2021). The Meaning of Mantras in Spiritual Communication of Religious Leaders with their God: Traditional Balinese Cremation in Werdhi Agung Village, Bolaang District, South Mongondow. INTERACTION OF CIVILIZATIONS: Journal of Islamic Communication and Broadcasting, 1(1), 55–69.https://doi.org/10.15408/interaksi.v1i1.21256
- 11. Sogito. 1996. Skilled Speaking. Jakarta. PT Grasindo
- 12. Suparno, Paul. 1997. Philosophy Constructivism in Education.Yogyakarta PT. Canisius.
- 13. Shafi'e, Imam. 1993. Skilled in Indonesian 1 Teacher's GuideLanguageIndonesia Public High School Class 1. Jakarta: Ministry of Education and Culture
- 14. Tarigan Djoko, et al. 1997. Development of Speaking Skills. Jakarta Ministry of Education and Culture.